Sunday, November 13, 2011

Eating out is a challenge especially when the restaurant changes the menu

F and C wanted to go to their favorite restaurant last night, so I went on line looked at there menu and planned ahead.  I was planning on getting the Broiled Crab Cake appetizer and side salad with the oil and vinegar dressing.  We got to the restaurant and was informed that the crab cake appetizer had changed due to their seasonal menu and was now a tortilla encrusted fried crab cake.  I asked if I could get what was on the regular menu and was told no they are only making the seasonal variety.  Great NOT!! So instead I just got a side salad.  I had some Kashi cereal when I got home to make sure I got some protien as well.

So that bring me to something that I have found having to eat out alot.  It is my expereince that restaurants that also have a menu that caters to vegans and non-vegans seem to be more willing to modify to a non-vegan dish for you.  It may be that they are used to doing modifications for vegans or that they are just more health aware, but they just seem more flexible.  If I order the dish without the sauce or ask them if they can grill my shrimp instead of frying them, they seem to be more likely to say yes. 

After dinner, we went to target to get a few things.   I needed so Kashi Cereal and I also picked up some Kashi Bars.  Then I went and looked a protien bars. I picked up some Luna protien bars.  They fit into the calorie, fat and carb requirements that I have for myself.  I wanted to make sure I had something around for the next couple of weeks.  I also picked up some Whole-Wheat spaghetti.  The plan for dinner tonight is Spaghetti and while F and C would not like whole wheat pasta.  I am trying to stay away from straight carbs.  So I will make regular spaghetti for them and then make a single serving of whole spahetti for me.  This will also help me with portion control, since spaghetti is one of those dishes that I can find myself eating alot very easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment