Saturday, January 21, 2012

To Reward or not to Reward...Opinions needed!!!

When I was young and in school, I was always jealous of my friends that got paid for grades.  You know those kids whose parents would give them so much for an A and so on.  I got good grades and my only reward was a "good job" and smile from my mom.  C does not get paid per grade but if she makes the all A honor roll, then I she gets to pick out a DS or Wii game as a reward.One the other hand C knows that if she does not do well on her report card, that she will lose an afterschool activity since that would mean that those things are getting in the way of her education.  

The reason why I am telling you all this is a conversation I had with a co-worker this week where they stated that I needed to reward my self for a certain weight loss, like once I lose 75 pounds I should get myself something as a reward.  At the time, I loved this idea but the more I think about the more I wonder if it is truly a good idea. 

1. The first issue is that any thing that I could get myself for a "reward"  is something that I could get if I really wanted it any way. 
2. Second, I really think that for me my health is my reward.  The ability to look in the mirror and see myself and know that I am as healthy as I could possibly be is the reward. 
3. If I am rewarding myself for losing weight do I have to have consquences for gaining weight? 

On the other hand, I see where the reward could be a motivator too.  I mean look at the Biggest Loser, they are losing weight for the ultimate reward of winning the money, but they gain healthy habits and health too. Would they really work out until they puke and put up with being screamed at by trainers, if not for that reward at the end? 

So I want your opinons, do you think I should reward myself for losing weight?  If you think that I should what kind of rewards do you think make sense and at how many pounds do I set the reward cycle? 

I lost a pound today, it was probably more but I am retaining water from flying.  If anyone has a cure for that please let me know that as well!!!

I had a Kashi bar for breakfast, a small serving of German potato salad for lunch (the kind made with broth and vinegar, no mayo). and dinner was chicken and peppers over brown rice.

I can not wait to hear your opinions....

Take care and stay healthy..

No comments:

Post a Comment